SpanishEnglish

French

Italian

German

Japanese

Chinese

Portugués

  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
  • Visit Segovia
Home»Microsites»The Walls

History of the Wall

Segovia is situated on the confluence of the Clamores and Eresma Rivers, on a promontory which, in itself, allowed for easy defence, a factor which the first Neolithic settlers took advantage of. Later, the fortified settlement where the Alcázar [Fortress] currently stands was occupied by different pre-Roman tribes, principally Celtiberians.

Following the crisis of the Roman Empire in the 2nd Century, the Romans embarked on a process of enclosing their imperial possessions with walls which very probably was the origin of the first layout of the Wall.

The Christian reconquest of Segovia was carried out by Alfonso VI in 1088. This mission involved the reinforcement of the city's defences, for which a fence was raised with a form of a layout which was very similar to that which can be seen today.

The loss of the defensive value of the Wall during the 16th Century had an influence on planning in the city; dwellings were built attached to or upon the wall. From the 17th Century, the toll gates were abandoned. The Wall lost, therefore, its defensive, symbolic and territorial value.

During the 19th century, the wall came to be considered an obstacle to town planning and its demolition served, in some cases, as a pretext to reduce unemployment in the building sector.

The 20th Century brought a change in mentality and with it, the need to appreciate and conserve the wall became patent. Continuous restoration work and conservation work began at this time which continues to this day.

In 1941, the old part of the town within the Wall was listed. Finally, the walled area and the Aqueducto [Aqueduct] were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner